Friday, January 16, 2009

Online Poker Strategy II

Have you ever heard of Poker Edge? This site tracks the playing styles and strategies of every player online. I have been listed on this site as a Calling Station, Green Fish, Red Fish, Bomb, and Warning Sign. The changes in my strategy and style are clearly tracked by this software. This does not mean I have become and better player or a weaker player it simply means that my style has changed. This is exactlly what I want to happen since I don't want people to be able to hone in own my style or strategy and be able to use that information to read me easier. If I am considered to be a Calling Station and my opponents see this they will assume that I will call big bets no matter what. When they make this assumption they open themselves up for me to take advantage of them when I am holding the nuts. I of course may have to bluff off some chips early on in the tournament but those initial investments will pay off later. If the Poker Edge tracker shows me as being a Bomb my opponents will slightly fear my big bets which will allow me to win a lot of pots while holding nothing. Winning pots on bluffs is always a nice way to grow your chip stack even when your card dead. I could go on and on about the benefits of each style and strategy but I won't, I just wanted to show you a few examples of how changing your strategy is always a good thing. Poker is a game of cat and mouse in order to win you must keep your opponent guessing. Do you want to be the cat or the mouse?

Hint: Winning poker players are the cat.

Thanks, Chris - LuckyStacks